As International yoga day is approaching next month, I am seeing many celebrities posting pictures in yoga postures. Many are trying the tough yet effective poses of Surya- Namaskar or Sun Salutation. It is a Yoga warm up routine based on a sequence of gracefully linked asana. The nomenclature refers to the symbolism of Sun as the soul and the source of all life. It is relatively a modern practice that developed in the 20th century. Although the practice is modern but seeing its effectiveness in rejuvenating body and mind, soon it became popular and included in whole yoga session.
Surya Namaskar is best done early morning on an empty stomach. It is constituted of 12 graceful sequences of postures. Generally we have seen some of these poses as apart of fitness tips in our schools. Sun Salutation is best done on a Sun Salutation Yoga Mat. These Yoga Mats are printed with various poses of Surya Namaskar and thus keep you concentrated on the postures. Let’s see some poses:
- Pranamasana: It is a prayer pose which is done standing on the edge of your mat.
- Hastauttanasana: It is a Raised Arms pose.
- Hasta Padasana: It is a hand to foot pose. While breathing out we bend down trying to touch our feet keeping our spine erect.
- Ashwa Sanchalanasana: It is an Equestrian pose keeping right leg pushed back and left leg in bended position and looking up.
- Dandasana: Take your bended left leg to straight position pushing it backward and bring whole body in straight line like a stick.
- Ashtanga Namaskara: It is a posture of salutation with eight of your body points touching the floor.
- Bhujangasana: It is famously known as cobra pose where chest is raised up while rest of the body lying straight.
- Parvatasana: It is a mountain pose done with lifting the hip and tail bone up.
- Ashwa Sanchalanasana: It is again an Equestrian pose but this time with left leg stretched straight and right leg bended.
- Hasta Padasana: It is a hand to foot pose.
- Hastauttanasana: It is again a raised arm position.
- Tadasana: While exhaling, stand relaxed in straight position and observes your sensations in your body.
Above were the postures of Sun Salutation, So on this International Yoga Day gear up with your Sun Salutation Yoga Mats and achieve your fitness targets.